Escuela Bilingüe Pioneer Elementary
101 East Baseline Road Lafayette, CO 80026 | 720.561.7800
|Bennett Wagner & Grody Architects|
$200,000 included in budget
ENERGY EFFICIENCY FEATURES
To improve energy efficiency, retro-commissioning was performed on the building as part of the renovation work. Although air conditioning was added to the building, overall energy use was reduced.
See the results
Learn more about how BVSD is improving energy efficiency in our buildings.
The Escuela Bilingue Pioneer project will include three different learning spaces.: a maker space/innovation lab, a small presentation space, and a technology lab. The project aligns with one of BVSD's six Innovation Guiding Principles: Learning is Personalized and Learner Led.
Design Advisory Team
Kristin Nelson Steinhoff, Principal
Lupe Aguirre, Counselor
Susan Daly, ESL Teacher
Scope of Work
- Exterior building improvements such as repair/replace windows and doors and painting
- Restroom renovations
- Repair/replace roof
- Repair/replace interior doors
- Improvements to interior finishes such as carpet, flooring, ceiling tile and paint
- HVAC improvements
- Electrical upgrades
- Repair/replace intercom and clock systems
- Fire protection system improvements
- Renovate kitchen and repair/replace equipment
- Repair/replace fixtures such as casework
- Asbestos abatement
- Site improvements such as paving and irrigation
- Install building-wide air conditioning
- Audio enhancement for every classroom
PROGRAM COMPATIBILITY ASSESSMENT
- Provide adequate space for full-day kindergarten
- Provide new bus loop
HEALTH AND PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT
- Upgrade playground surfacing and equipment
SAFETY AND SECURITY
- Install camera/intercom security system
- Install electronic security controls
- Install security partitions
- Conduct retro-commissioning and repairs
- Upgrade lighting
- Upgrade HVAC controls
- Escuela Bilingüe Pioneer is eligible to receive up to $200,000 in additional funds to implement facility improvements that support innovative teaching methods.
The Escuela Bilingue Pioneer project will include three different learning spaces: a maker space/innovation lab, a small presentation space, and a technology lab. The project aligns with one of BVSD's six Innovation Guiding Principles: Learning is Personalized and Learner Led.
Results - Impact on Learning
During the first school year the new space was used, educators were asked to monitor and track growth towards the outcomes identified in their project plan and present the findings in a digital story. The story was framed by the question, "How is innovation shifting the story of learning at our school?
Click on the image below to launch the presentation.
To develop the school's project, staff worked together to develop responses to the following guiding questions.
1. Briefly describe the project that you plan to implement with your Innovation Funds.
For our innovation project, Pioneer would like to implement three innovative learning spaces
- MakerSpace/Innovation Lab. We would like to convert an interior classroom into a Maker Space/Innovation lab. This space will foster students’ natural curiosity around science and engineering. It will also enhance their personal learning time that occurs across the school day for every student at Pioneer. This personal learning time was added as a part of our work with the National Center for Time and Learning and has become students’ favorite part of the day. This space would provide a learning environment to support the growth and excitement around this work. As part of the maker space, we would like to add a video recording studio equipped to engage students in video production. Currently, students are creating presentations of learning using technology, creating Pioneer newscasts, and presentations that demonstrate many of the aspects of our social-emotional learning program.
- PIO Talks- In our Atrium, we would like to add a SMART TV small stage and risers where students can present the work that they have done during Personalized Learning Time or during their time in the Innovation Lab. The purpose is to mimic the TED Talk Stage where speakers share their thinking with an audience. This will motivate students and will add relevancy to their work.
- Technology Lab (former computer lab) - If funding is available, we plan to convert an existing computer lab into a technology lab to help support our innovation lab. Currently, our students receive 80 minutes a week in technology instruction as a part of our specials rotation in addition to technology integration into all of our classrooms. This space will provide us with the equipment to create high-quality products in English and Spanish and take our work with multi-media productions to a new level.The lab will be designed to support instruction in digital literacy, coding, and video production editing.
2. How will you involve stakeholders in the decision-making process concerning the use of the innovation funds for your site?
All teachers have been a part of the discussions about the use of these funds this school year. We have an innovation committee that has been thinking about various projects and looking into what would best support the work at our school. We also included our Design Advisory Team last year during the bond work to inform them about the Innovation Funds and opportunities that it presented. The Innovation funds were as a part of a number of discussions with families and staff members about the possible conversion to a K-8 school over the last 18 months.
3. How does your project support The Success Effect? (BVSD's Strategic Plan-Mission/Vision/Goals)
Pioneer is a Title I school, serving about 50% students in poverty and 50% English Language Learners. At a part of our program, all students learn and serve as models for one another. This work will support the equity of opportunities for all students. (Strategic Plan Value: Societal inequities and unique learning needs will not be barriers to student success.).
Not only does this project address the intellectual growth and curiosity of our students, it also fosters the innate curiosity and engagement that students need as a part of their social-emotional learning. (Goal: Boulder Valley School District will ensure that each student meets or exceeds appropriate expectations relative to intellectual growth, physical development, and social-emotional well-being.) Our school-wide implementation of conscious discipline will be facilitated across our community through video presentations and sharing of student skills as a result of the creation of the recording studio space. We have just begun to share many of our video productions with families, which will increase engagement and buy-in with all of the great work that Pioneer is doing with our building.
4. Review the Innovation Guiding Principles and discuss with your stakeholders. How will your project align with one or more of the guiding principles?
Learning is Personalized and Learner Led
We can use the MakerSpace/Innovation Lab or the recording studio to empower students to create products (in English and Spanish) during any of the following times throughout the year:
- Personal Learning Time
- Math Block
- As a part of a 320+ enrichment program
This engagement of students will connect students to our community and generate excitement for our learning. It will seek to empower students in learning that is authentic, relevant and meaningful to our students as it will impact others.
5. Determine what your learning outcomes are for your innovation project. What will happen as a result of this innovation?
In alignment with the Innovation Guiding Principle of “Learning is personalized and learner led”:
All learners in the building will engage in the creation of a product in one of these spaces during the 2017-18 school year.
6. Determine how you will measure the progress towards and achievement of your learning outcome. What is your plan for gathering data to show that the change is positively impacting learning at your site?
We will be able to create a spreadsheet of our students to determine when and how students can participate in these opportunities in these spaces.
We could also use student work created in the spaces to demonstrate growth towards our outcome. We could showcase these products/presentations during an exhibition of learning towards the end of the 2017-18 School Year.
7. What professional learning and support might your staff might need in order to reach the desired learning outcomes for the space?
We currently have resident experts doing this work. We can leverage this expertise to build capacity in their colleagues.
We may need some PD on how to incorporate Innovative Practices into their instruction. This would align with our goal of integrating personalized learning and still ensure that students master content standards.